When furnishing your Airbnb rental, there are many things to consider. You want to make sure that your guests have a comfortable and stylish stay, while also ensuring that the furniture is durable enough to withstand frequent use. In this article, we will discuss some of the best furniture options for Airbnb rentals and where you can buy them!
✅ Avoid the #1 Mistake most Airbnb hosts forget when furnishing their rental (see Do #4)
✅ Quickly verify ANY room in your Airbnb to see if it is compliant with important design principles
✅ Learn what drives guests CRAZY and makes them feel like creepy stalkers (see Don’t #7)
What To Consider When Furnishing Your Airbnb Rental
If you’ve never ran a short term rental before, you might not be aware that furnishing it is a bit different than furnishing a traditional home. When picking out furniture for your home, you might be more concerned with comfort and personal style. However, when furnishing an Airbnb rental, you need to take a few additional considerations into account.
Wear and tear is to be expected when you’re running a short term rental. Your furniture will see a lot more use than it would in a traditional home, so it’s important to choose pieces that are durable and can withstand heavy usage.
Look for furniture made from tough materials like leather or metal. These materials are less likely to show wear and tear and will last longer than pieces made from more delicate fabrics.
While you want to make sure that your furniture is durable, you also don’t want to spend a fortune on it. After all, you’ll likely need to replace pieces more often than you would in a traditional home.
When shopping for furniture, look for pieces that are well-made but won’t break the bank.
Styling your Airbnb with your furniture isn’t just about making it look good for photos. The right furniture can help create the perfect atmosphere for your guests and make them feel at home.
Think about what kind of style you want for your Airbnb and choose furniture that fits that aesthetic. If you’re going for a cozy, homey vibe, try choosing pieces with soft fabrics and warm colors. For a more modern look, go for clean lines and cool tones.
If you want some tips that go more in depth, check out our article on decorating your rental!
Your guests are usually on vacation or in the area for a business trip, meaning they’ll likely be missing the creature comforts that they’re used to at home. Make sure to choose furniture that is comfortable and inviting! Look for pieces with plush cushions and soft fabrics. You might even want to consider investing in a memory foam mattress for your rental!
Not only should your furniture be comfortable and stylish, but it should also be functional. If you’re tight on space, look for pieces that can serve multiple purposes. For example, a coffee table with storage underneath or a daybed that can double as a sofa. Think about how your guests will be using the space and choose furniture that will make their stay more enjoyable.
Remember when we mentioned that you’ll likely need to replace your furniture more often than you would in a traditional home? Well, that’s because short term rentals see a lot of wear and tear! To make things easier on yourself, choose furniture that is easy to replace.
We’ve seen some short term rentals that are furnished with 18th century antiques and other irreplaceable pieces. While these pieces may look great in photos, they’re not exactly practical for a short term rental. If a piece of furniture is damaged or stolen, you’ll likely be out of luck!
So, when furnishing your Airbnb rental, look for pieces that are widely available and don’t require any special assembly. This way, if something does happen to them, you can easily replace them without too much hassle.
Number of Guests
One final consideration to make when furnishing your Airbnb is the number of guests you’re expecting. If you’re only renting out one room, you won’t need as much furniture as you would if you were renting out the entire house.
Think about how many people will be staying in your rental and what kind of furniture they’ll need. Larger groups will interact with each other in different ways than smaller groups, so you’ll need to adjust your furniture accordingly.
The Best Furniture For Airbnb By Room
When we got our first rental unit, we had no idea what kind of furniture we should get for it. We didn’t want to spend a fortune, but we also wanted something that would be comfortable and stylish for our guests. After putting together a list of our must-haves, we did some research and found the perfect pieces for our Airbnb!
Here’s a breakdown of the best furniture for each room in your rental:
Your bedroom is one of the most important rooms in your rental, so you’ll want to make sure it’s furnished with comfortable, high-quality pieces. This is usually going to be the room you’ll want to decorate with the most care, as it’s likely going to be the room where your instagram-worthy photos are coming from.
Here are our recommendations for bedroom furniture:
- A comfortable mattress: This is probably the most important piece of furniture in your rental! Your guests will be spending a lot of time in bed, so you’ll want to make sure they’re
- Solid Bedframe: A bedframe not only gives your bed a more polished look, but it also provides extra support for your mattress. If you cheap out on a solid frame, you can expect your mattress to sag over time or the frame to break, causing late night house calls for maintenance.
- Dresser: A dresser is essential for storing your guests’ belongings. If you don’t have a lot of storage space in your rental, look for a dresser with extra drawers or shelves.
- Nightstand: A nightstand is a must-have for any bedroom! It provides a place for your guests to put their belongings within reach, as well as a surface for a lamp.
- Lamps w/ USB Charging Ports: Speaking of lamps, we recommend getting ones with USB charging ports. This way, your guests can charge their phones overnight without having to fumble around for an outlet.
- Mirror: A mirror is a must-have in any bedroom! Not only will it help your guests get ready in the morning, but it will also make your room look larger and brighter.
- Rugs: Rugs not only add color and style to your room, but they also help protect your floors from dirt and stains.
Your living room is likely going to be the most used space in your rental, so you’ll want to make sure it’s comfortable and inviting. This is a great space to add some personal touches to your décor, as well as furniture that can be used for multiple purposes.
Here are our recommendations for living room furniture:
- Sofa bed: A sofa bed is a great way to save space in your living room while still providing an extra place for your guests to sleep. In most cases, sleeping more heads equals charging more money, so this is a great way to increase your nightly rate.
- Coffee table: A coffee table is a must-have for any living room! It provides a place to put drinks, snacks, and games, as well as a surface for guests to rest their feet.
- End tables: End tables are great for adding extra storage to your living
- TV stand: If you have a TV in your living room (which we recommend!), you’ll need a place to put it. A TV stand not only provides a surface for your TV, but it also gives you extra storage for things like DVDs and video games.
- Office Table: You may not think you need an office table in your living room, but trust us, it’s a lifesaver! This is a great place to put your laptop when you’re working from home, as well as a place for guests to do work or surf the web. Plus this is a special search filter on Airbnb, so including this in your listing will help you attract more guests.
- Office Chair: An office chair is a great way to add an extra seat to your living room without taking up too much space. Plus, it’s perfect for guests who need to do work while they’re staying with you.
Depending on the size of your rental, you may or may not have a separate dining room. If you do have one, make sure to furnish it with enough seating for all of your guests. If you don’t have a separate dining room, you can still create a dining area in your kitchen or living room.
Here are our recommendations for dining room/kitchen furniture:
- Table and Chairs: This one is a no-brainer! You’ll need a place for your guests to eat, so make sure you have a table and chairs that are comfortable and can accommodate all of your guests.
- Buffet: A buffet is a great way to add extra storage and counter space to your dining room or kitchen. Plus, it gives you a place to put food and drinks for your guests.
- Bar Stools: If you have a breakfast bar or kitchen island, bar stools are a great way to add extra seating. Plus, they’re perfect for guests who want to chat while they’re cooking.
Not every rental has an outdoor space, but if you’re lucky enough to have one, make sure to make the most of it! Outdoor furniture is a great way to add extra seating and storage to your rental.
Here are our recommendations for outdoor furniture:
- Outdoor Sofa: An outdoor sofa is a great way to add extra seating and storage to your outdoor space. Plus, it’s perfect for guests who want to relax in the sun.
- Patio Furniture: Chairs and tables are a must-have for any outdoor space. They provide a place for your guests to eat and relax, as well as a surface for games and activities.
- BBQ: A BBQ is a great way to make your outdoor space more inviting for guests. Plus, it’s a perfect way to increase your nightly rate!
- Fire Pit: A fire pit is a great way to add ambiance to your outdoor space. Plus, it’s perfect for roasting marshmallows and making s’mores! Having a fire pit will also make for photos worthy of Instagram.
Where To Buy The Best Furniture For Your Airbnb Rental
Now you might be wondering where to get all of this stuff. If you have a lot of time, patience, and need to keep an eye on your budget, you can search online on your local market places like Facebook or Craigslist. You can also head on down to your local thrift stores, antique stores, or garage sales.
Though in our experience, we are very busy trying to get our rentals in order, so time is very important to us. Plus, we need to make sure that everything is top-quality and will last for many years to come since our guests can be quite hard on furniture. For these reasons, we recommend heading over to Wayfair or Amazon. They have a great selection of furniture for every room in your rental, and you can get your items delivered right to you.
The best thing about Amazon is that they have a huge selection of furniture for every room in your rental, and their return policy is amazing. So if you don’t like something or it’s not the right size, you can easily return it and get your money back. Plus, you can get your items delivered right to you in a matter of days.
Wayfair is our go-to store for furniture because they have a great selection of furniture for every room in your rental. They are actually owned by Amazon, but we find that their furniture selection is a bit more stylish and modern. Plus, their return policy is just as good as Amazon’s, so you can easily return anything that you’re not happy with.
IKEA is the perfect place to get affordable furniture for your rental. They have a great selection of iconic furniture for every room in your rental, and their prices are unbeatable. Plus, you can usually mix and match pieces to create a unique look for your rental.
If you’re on a budget but don’t want to spend a lot of time shopping around, Target is the perfect place for you. They have a great selection of furniture for every room in your rental, and they are usually running a promotion or have coupons available for even more savings. Plus, their return policy is great, so you can easily return anything that you’re not happy with.
Overstock is a place where you can find great deals on furniture for your rental because they sell furniture that is overstocked by other retailers. This means that you can find great deals on top-quality furniture. However, one caveat is that items aren’t guaranteed to be in stock, so if you need to replace something, you might be out of luck.
Local Furniture Stores
If you have time to shop around, your local furniture stores are a great place to find furniture for your rental. You can usually find great deals on clearance items or floor models. Plus, you can get an idea of what styles and trends are popular and actually see the pieces in person.
Although we don’t necessarily recommend it, many hosts use financing from their local furniture store to furnish their rentals. This way, they can get the furniture they need now and pay for it with the bookings they get before the first bill is due, essentially furnishing their units for free.
Just be sure to read the fine print and understand all of the terms and conditions before you sign anything.
FAQs About Airbnb Furniture
How do I protect my furniture on Airbnb?
You can protect your furniture on Airbnb by using furniture covers or slipcovers. This will help to keep your furniture clean and free of stains. You can also use throw blankets or towels to cover up any areas that might get damaged.
If you have wooden pieces of furniture, you can coat them with a sealant to protect them from water damage. You can also use furniture pads or coasters to protect your furniture from scratches.
In any case, we recommend you have insurance for your rental property, as this will protect you from any damages that might occur.
Is leather couch good for Airbnb?
Leather couches are a great option for Airbnb because they are durable and easy to clean. However, keep in mind that leather can be damaged by water, so if you have a leather couch in your rental, be sure to protect it with furniture covers or slipcovers.
Depending on the type of guests you get, leather couches might not be the best option. If you have guests who are prone to spilling things, or if you have young children, we recommend you opt for a couch that is easy to repair or replace.
What kind of bedding is best for Airbnb?
The best bedding for Airbnb is clean, crisp, and free of any stains or wear and tear. You want your guests to feel like they are sleeping in a hotel, so opt for high-quality sheets and blankets. We also recommend you provide extra pillows and blankets in case your guests get cold during their stay.
Check out our article on the best mattresses for Airbnb for more info on how to choose one that is right for your rental!
Furnishing your Airbnb rental doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By following our tips and advice, you can easily find furniture that is stylish, durable, and affordable. Plus, you can mix and match pieces to create a unique look for your rental.
Do you have any tips for furnishing an Airbnb rental? Share them with us in the comments below!